The Pony Of the Americas Club advocates respect for the dignity and the welfare of all POAs and recognizes their specialized needs. It is the responsibility of POAC members to serve as stewards of the POA and to follow practices that promote the health and welfare of the POA.
The Pony Of the Americas Club champions and fosters:
- Research towards understanding and reducing injuries and illnesses
- Education to inform and support owners, trainers, event organizers and veterinarians regarding preventive medicine
- Responsible training and the humane treatment of POA
- Modern and progressive equine care as insured by periodic examination and disease prevention implemented by licensed veterinarians in partnership with POA owners, breeders and managers
- Euthanasia when justified by thorough and expedient diagnostic procedures to end inhumane suffering.
Regarding the POA in competition, the Pony Of the Americas Club advocates:
- Ethical and humane conditions and handling which includes proper housing, transportation and nutrition in the training and care of the competitive POA
- Standardization of rules, policies and procedures for all equine events to insure maximum safety, health and welfare for all participants
- Quality drug testing to assure equity and fairness regarding the regulation and use of appropriate therapeutic medications as they affect the competitive POA.